Saturday, July 11, 2009

The French Chestertonians Report In

I've had some correspondence with a French Chestertonian, and have some things to report.

First, I'm told the Google French translator is kind of a joke, so instead of that (under the former O Cosmos, now World Wide section on the left) I am linking to a French Chesterton web and blog page.

Here are some interesting comments from our correspondent:
Love the blog but I have some concerns about the English to French translation. For example, “It may be conceded to the mathematicians” should be translated as “Qu’il soit admis aux mathématiciens…” The word may when spelt mai means the month of May! Lovely tribute to the newlyweds.

Best regards,

Barbara H. de G.

PS Du lait et des armes a feu, s’il vous plait ! (There should be a “hat”, or an accent circonflexe above the i in plait but my spell checker is arguing with me .
More from Barbara tomorrow. If you know of a Portuguese, Spanish, Italian or other language Chesterton web or blog site, please send me the links.

4 comments:

  1. This is the blog of the Società Chestertoniana Italiana: http://uomovivo.blogspot.com/

    And this is my blog: http://bottone.blogspot.com/

    I often write about Chesterton. Today, for instance, I have written about a review of St. Thomas Aquinas that appeared on the last issue of La Civiltà Cattolica, the prestigious jesuit magazine in Rome.

    Angelo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angelo, I've got you listed now over on the left side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Russian site on Chesterton - the subtitle of which carries the "Apostle of Common Sense" label.
    http://www.chesterton.ru/index.html

    It includes translations (the quality of which I'm not sure) of many of his major texts, and also of critical responses to him, including one piece by Ronald Knox (translated into Russian), with quite an emphasis on pieces by Russian writers (and one essay On Chesterton and Russia) - quite a few essays by a Nataliya Trauberg.

    Looks as though the site is worthy of a proper exploration

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Dominic, I made a link to the site.

    ReplyDelete

Join our FaceBook fan page today!