Saturday, October 04, 2008

Curious fact about Orthodoxy

I was wondering what might be the longest repeated phrase in Orthodoxy... and then I remembered (like Ron reminding Hermione - "are you a doctor or aren't you?" Hee hee!) I have a tool which can get that information for me. It was something I worked on in my doctoral research, which actually found what I called "RNA fingerprints" for bacteria. A simple revision to use an alphabet of words rather than the 15 wildcard characters of RNA, and I got the answer. Lots of fun.

Oh, you are wondering what the answer was?

OK. Let's see. There were two sequences which each contained 14 elements (counting the punctuation):

1. Democracy tells us not to neglect a good man's opinion, even if he is our groom; tradition asks us not to neglect a good man's opinion, even if he is our father. CW1:251

2. They represent that the remarkable thing about Christianity was that it was the first to preach simplicity or self-restraint, or inwardness and sincerity. They will think me very narrow (whatever that means) if I say that the remarkable thing about Christianity was that it was the first to preach Christianity. CW1:278

So now you know. In the case of The Everlasting Man, the longest repeat is quite a bit more remarkable:

"Heaven and earth shall pass away; but my words shall not pass away."

from CW2:327 and 392, where GKC is quoting Luke 21:33.

Curious. Now, the next little puzzle is to see what the longest common phrase to these two books may be. I'll tell you next time.

No I changed my mind. It's too funny not to tell you now!

But the repetition in Nature seemed sometimes to be an excited repetition, like that of an angry schoolmaster saying the same thing over and over again. Orth CW1:263
They began to betray to the world the fact that they were walking in a circle and saying the same thing over and over again. TEM CW2:292

So I guess GKC is also "saying the same thing over and over again."

Try that with your tactile books. Hee hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join our FaceBook fan page today!