Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Conversation: A History of a Declining Art

This isn't a new book, but I just read an interview of the author that totally explains the lack of decent conversations I was able to have this election cycle.
Whatever happened to polite disagreement? During the months leading up to Election 2008, the conversations of America's political punditry -- from bloggers on "Daily Kos" to partisans on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes"-- were often marked more by name-calling than by reason.

The conversations of average Americans didn't fare much better, with Internet comment boxes filled with vitriol and more than a few family get-togethers ending with shouting and door slamming.
Yes, we had shouting right in my own homeschooling group, and I expect more from them. Or at least, I expect them to be able to have a civil conversation. But I guess we aren't immune to "declining conversations skills syndrome" either.

I'm going to see if my library has this title, as it sounds very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join our FaceBook fan page today!