Monday, September 15, 2008

Today is a New Day

Poetry via norumbega:
G. K. Chesterton
When Plain Folk, such as you or I,
See the Sun sinking in the sky,
We think it is the Setting Sun,
But Mr. Gilbert Chesterton
Is not so easily misled.
He calmly stands upon his head,
And upside down obtains a new
And Chestertonian point of view,
Observing thus, how from his toes
The sun creeps nearer to his nose,
He cries with wonder and delight,
“How Grand the sunrise is to-night!”

by Oliver Herford
from Confessions of a Caricaturist

4 comments:

  1. Great post!

    I'll have to brush up on my head-standing skills to try this out, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently was doing some yoga, and one pose has me upsidedown like this. It does get easier with practice, as does seeing the world through Chestertonian eyes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you still get comments from back posts, but if you do, Nancy, can you tell me the background on this image? I ripped it for one of my blog posts. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I still see old posts and comments! The image is from this book:
    Confessions of a Caricaturist by Oliver Herford, and I believe the artist is the author of that book, published in 1917 and available in complete on line here:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21676/21676-h/21676-h.htm

    ReplyDelete

Join our FaceBook fan page today!