Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Google Alerts and Chesterton

I have this "Google Alert" set up to let me know if Chesterton is mentioned on the web or in a blog or anywhere on the internet.

And what is amazing and wonderful is that everyday, I find people having conversations about some work of Chesterton's. All different kinds of people. Atheists, free-thinkers, agnostics, modernists, post-modernists, joyless modernists (I did not make that up, someone calls himself that out there), priests, sane people, housewives, truck drivers, theologians, experimental theologists and more. Every day. Proving once again that Chesterton is timely for today, and elicits exciting conversations and great arguments.

If you'd like to see what's going on out there, go to google.com. Click on news. Over on the left, you'll see a link to "News Alerts" with a little envelope (meaning they will be e-mailed to you). Click on that, and then you set up the alert by putting words in the box (i.e., "G.K. Chesterton") and saying how often you'd like the news to arrive (I have it once a day) and where you want it sent (use a spam e-mail address/free e-mail/alternative e-mail if you are concerned about someone using your e-mail for junk mail). That's it! Then you can travel over to the "joyless modernist" and see what he's talking about, and if you can add to the conversation. Doesn't that sound like fun?

3 comments:

  1. I guess we'd call this a form of "Big Uncle is watching"? Hee hee.

    Strangely, this ties in with the discussion Nancy had on her blogg recently about fighting and argumentation and being kind on the INTERNET - and theology.

    Think about it. Whatever you write out here in the E-cosmos is being seen, at least in some sense - perhaps I should say COULD BE SEEN - by readers all over the world. It might be stored and written into some enduring form of media, and kept for eons.

    Do you REALLY want your whine to be kept that long?

    And we haven't even mentioned how the angels listen in to everything we say and do. God trusts us with some of the most marvellous technology - I don't mean computers, I mean fingers and eyes, ears, teeth and tongue, and the brain behind it all.

    So, let us thank God for these wonderful gifts, and use our words to seek truth, to His glory, and even to our own amusement - but never in spite, anger and malice.

    For "the Word was made flesh"...

    --Dr. Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a Chestertonian on staff at Jeopardy. I have twice heard clues about Chesterton/Father Brown. Ok, ok, so that doesn't necessarily follow, but let me have my little dream.
    I also thought it was nice that there was a clue about the Presentation of Mary aired today, on that Feast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    Speaking of Jeopardy, I've also long believed that there is a Filipino among the writers, for similar reasons. It looks like I should pay even closer attention! =)

    ReplyDelete

Join our FaceBook fan page today!