Saturday, September 22, 2007

Gilbert Here: Conference Issue Rocks!

I spent the better part of yesterday immersed in my Gilbert, reliving the glory days of June 2007, the people I met, the conversations I had, the beer I tried...looking at all the glorious pictures and remembering the fun of it all.

If I have one regret, its that I mentioned that Dawn Eden stutters. Could you all forget I said that, please? I think I might have hurt her feelings. Sorry, Dawn. Your talk was fantastic. I guess the stutter took me by surprise, your pictures just exude this generous and zippy personality, which, of course, can go along with a stutter...oh dear, I feel I'm just digging my hole bigger and better stop. It's kind of like GKC, when people mention his voice, they recall how soft spoken and high pitched his voice was, and based on his looks, it just didn't go. That's the kind of Chestertonian comparison I wanted to make. And Dawn is just as wise and intelligent as Chesterton.

Front cover: I feel I must mention to anyone not in attendance at the closing banquet that the "Chestertones" were just a complete cover for Anne-Sophie Olsen to show off her tremendous violin talent. The rest of them were all hacks.

See the picture of Dawn? Doesn't she just look friendly? Don't you just wish she lived next door?

Aidan Mackey. What a gentleman. What a wealth of Chestertonian knowledge. It was so fun to be able to ask him "anything".

Dale Ahlquist. What a cut up. If you never heard him talk about Chesterton, you might wonder if he ever takes life seriously. But then, he's a true Chestertonian, and knows how to take things "lightly"--a wonderful quality.

More notes....when I return to you here on Monday.

7 comments:

  1. Whoever edits that magazine does an incredible job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you call it an "adorable stutter" as George Gurley did in this profile of her (p.2, col. 3), I'm sure she'll be fine with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did Nancy say she stuttered?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure this "stutter" business wasn't in your magazine, oh secret-revealing Editor? (hee hee) Perhaps you are misquoting GKC's Autobiography:

    "To me the ancient capital letters of the Greek alphabet, the great Theta, a sphere barred across the midst like Saturn, or the great Upsilon, standing up like a tall curved chalice, have still a quite unaccountable charm and mystery, as if they were the characters traced in wide welcome over Eden of the dawn."
    [CW16:60]

    --Dr. "I'm fatter than my pictures" Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chestertonian: I mentioned here on this blog when I was live-blogging the conference.

    Yes, it *is* an adorable stutter. Doesn't detract in any way from what Dawn has to say. Did I mention that she's beautiful, too? Those lucky DCians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the risk of going off-topic by focusing again on the original topic...

    My kids found the issue before I did and searched all the pictures - they found their father in one of the group shots! They were so excited when I got home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Dr. T. I am quite sure I did not mention it. And dear Nancy fessed up just after your post anyway. ;-p

    Mark: excellent!! I still get a boyish thrill just from seeing my name in a byline or on the masthead. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Join our FaceBook fan page today!