Monday, May 21, 2007

Poet and Lunatics--Introduction

OK, let's get started on The Poet and the Lunatics: Episodes in the Life of Gabriel Gale. This is one of Chesterton's lesser known works, originally published in 1929. According to the Chesterton Society's Bibliography:
"Eight mysteries featuring the poet-detective, Gabriel Gale, who solves (or prevents) crimes committed by madmen. The lunatics all represent the modern breakdown of reason.
-Out of Print.

Quote:

"I doubt whether any truth can be told except in a parable."
But of course the "Out of Print" information is already out of date. I have a House of Stratus edition published in 2001.

The clue from above, that Gale solves or prevents crimes is interesting. And also that each lunatic represents a modern breakdown of reason. I think we'll find that these "modern breakdowns" are current to our day.

And first impressions?

Mine, as usual, is that Chesterton has written a mysterious book, one which I need help to read and understand. Some of you have probably read this book more than once, and know it inside and out. I'm only on my first reading of it, so you will all help me out, ok?

1 comment:

  1. All I know is that it's beautiful. It is a series of mysteries, of course, but I remember it more as a poem--a very philosophical poem like St. Thomas'. Maybe we could try to analyze what it is that all his love stories have in common, since this one is partly that. Most of them involve love at first sight on one or both sides, but there is much more to it than that.

    ReplyDelete

Join our FaceBook fan page today!