Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Gilbert!

Bowing down in blind credulity, as is my custom, before mere authority
and the tradition of the elders, superstitiously swallowing a story I
could not test at the time by experiment or private judgment, I am
firmly of opinion that I was born on the 29th of May, 1874, on
Campden Hill, Kensington; and baptised according to the formularies of
the Church of England in the little church of St. George opposite the
large Waterworks Tower that dominated that ridge. I do not allege any
significance in the relation of the two buildings; and I indignantly
deny that the church was chosen because it needed the whole water-power
of West London to turn me into a Christian.

-- The beginning of GKC's Autobiography CW16
(Thanks Dr. T!)

1 comment:

  1. w00t!

    Happy birthday, GKC! :-D

    A good day to picnic on the roof, or maybe with a wheel of cheddar and a barrel of rum, with an inn sign for company.

    Pick a sword fight with someone! Throw a rock through the window of your local newspaper!

    Propose to your wife! Knock on your front door and ask to enter, of better yet, break into your house!

    BE THANKFUL. Look at everything as if seeing it for the very first time.

    Finally, compose a love poem to our Lady. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Join our FaceBook fan page today!